Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beginning design of the transponder

I'm currently working on the transponder for the radio stack.  I'm going to focus on parts for the new flightsim, a Beechcraft Baron.  For the radio stack, this includes the transponder and the nav/com radios.  Here are some renderings of the faceplate of the transponder.  the big square hole will house 4 7-seg digits with one rotary encoder under each to tune the digit.  the slightly larger hole to the left will house an LED to act as the IDENT light.  the hole under that will house a small tactile switch to send a ping (or whatever you call that).  All the way to the left is a big hole that will house a 5 position rotary switch to set the transponder between off, standby, ground, on and test.  X-Plane doesn't have a ground mode simulated the last time I checked, but just in case, I can add the feature later.  This will be loosely based on the Bendix King KT76A.



I still have to tweak the spacing so I can fit the rotary encoders under the digits and I need to make sure the board that will hold the digits/rotary encoders doesn't hit the board that will house the IDENT light and switch.   I would make them all fit on one board but that would make the pcb larger than the free version of my pcb software will allow so I'm cheating a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment